Related articles

My song is a cover or uses a sample. Do you take care of the license?

Below we explain the legal terms that govern covers and the use of samples in releases:

  • Covers. Although you don’t need a license per se to release cover songs on digital stores you will need a Mechanical License so that they can be downloaded. Check your country because Mechanical Licenses vary from one location to another.
  • Remixes. If your track is a remix you will need to ask for a Master License. These can be harder to get than the previous so we recommend asking the rights holder directly and trying to reach an agreement.
  • Samples. In this case, you’ll need both licenses, a Master and a Mechanical License. This is the only way to legally use a sample of another song in your own track.

Read our Cover Distribution Policy for more info.